Thursday, March 11, 2010

Internship

This semester I'm doing an internship at Auburn Public Library, so I thought that I would share a little bit about it.

First of all, I love doing an internship and not going to class. Especially on days (like today) where I wake up to rain and don't have to dread walking through it.

Pretty much the biggest thing I do is answer questions. Where are the biographies? Do you have any information about Native American medicine? Do you have (insert book title)? Can you help me with the computer? How do you divide fractions? Can you recommend and book to me? (That last one is definitely the hardest one...first of all I still have a lot to learn about what books we actually have...second of all, where do I even start with such a broad question?)

Another thing I've done is help out with the programs. I just did a Preschool Storytime about Lions the other day. I'm doing a Baby Time about farm animals in a few weeks. And pretty much every week I've been helping someone else with preparation for their program (aka I cut out lots of crafts).

Sometimes I feel a little bad because my internship is not super intense (especially when compared to Gerrit's). But then I realize how much I am learning. Every day, at least several times a day, I pick up some kind of tidbit of information about how libraries work. Whether it is something I think our library is doing wonderfully with or something I think our library could improve on, everyday I am filing away notes and information in my mind for future use.

No comments:

Post a Comment