Sunday, April 26, 2009

Internship... check! (Gerrit) (Archive)

At the beginning of January, I began the search for an internship. As an International Business and Spanish major, I am required to hold an Internationally focused internship before I can graduate.

In order to help get a jump start ahead of my classmates, I attended a career fair on campus, but due to the slow economy, not many of the companies represented there were even hiring interns. I signed up for "Corporate Boot Camp" (a program offered by the International Business program to help it's students be prepared for things like resume writing and interviewing) and started talking with my Academic Advisor about the connections that Mississippi State had with the corporate world.

My advisor started sending me emails with job listings, and I would respond with my resume. I waited for just over 2 months before hearing back from anyone...

Two and a half weeks ago I hear back from a company called Garan Manufacturing (they're most known for their children's clothing line "Garanimals") and they set up an interview. I was very excited to interview with them because they have an operations center here in Starkville. That would mean I would save serious money by not having to find a place to stay in another city.

The interview went really really well. I was thrilled when they told me the position would entail frequent video conferencing with their manufacturing facilities in Honduras and El Salvador, and possibly a visit to one of those facilities on the company jet (they did tell me they don't usually do this, but since my spanish abilities are very good, they might consider it).

Two days after the Garan interview I got a call from Citi bank's Latin America branch. That interview was via phone and I have honestly never had a better connection with an interviewer. They were very very impressed with my computer skills and my language skills, and I just seemed to share a lot of personality traits and likes in common. We started talking about what books I like and he even started recommending books to me! The guy told me that there would be a follow-up interview in a couple of days.

Unfortunately the Citi internship is in Ft. Lauderdale... a full 11.5 hour drive from Erin.... and it lasts for 6 months which would mean I'd have to delay graduation, and that would pose a problem with the wedding date of August 7, 2010 that Erin and I are planning for.
Citi called me back several days later to directly offer me a job... they didn't even do a follow up interview. I asked them how flexible the position was, as far as position and length of time go, and they told me that it was not flexible... so in the interest of Erin and our wedding, I turned down the job. It was very difficult to do because I had no idea what other positions would present themselves. Garan had been supposed to let me know already and I had been unable to get in touch with them to affirm what I assumed would be a no. I thought my advisor would see turning down the prestigious Citi internship imprudent as I had nothing else lined up.

Then, last Wednesday, Garan called me.

I got really nervous when I saw the unkown number show up on my phone with a starkville area code. It was Kristen, my contact from Garan, and she was calling me to offer me a job.

I was ecstatic! I told them that I'd call them back the next day to let them know, but I was completely thrilled! I called Erin to let her know and she was very very excited for me too! The internship will begin in January. The position I had applied for was initially for the fall, but they had hired a friend of mine for the fall who is graduating in December for that position, but had liked me enough they wanted to go ahead and hire me.

I cannot wait to start! I'll keep yall posted as I know more!

No comments:

Post a Comment